Thursday, November 18, 2021

Plank #3 Second Verse

I got the second plank #3 glued up today. I thought I was going to get better with the planking as it went along. Had a rough day today with it.

It all started when I spiled the plank. I changed the way I fastened the two spiling battens together. Instead of gluing them, I bolted them. They were very snug. The spiling went well... except for one "little" thing: The bow end was 1/2" too narrow. How did that happen? The rest of the plank looked better than any previous ones. What to do? I decided to make the part of the plank that is seen on the outside of the boat even with the other side. That means the other edge will only catch the next plank with 1/4" of mating or so. I figure I'll have to reinforce it on the inside with some thickened epoxy and probably fiberglass tape. Of course, it's near the stem, so there is plenty of holding force there.

Otherwise the plank fit very nicely. So how did it not not glue down as nicely? My method of putting a screw into the midship frame and working out, first to the bow and then the stern somehow got messed up. The forepart of the plank fit well but when I went to batten down the aft portion, it was lying right. I made it fit, but at a price: the plank sits out about 1/2" from the molds. I think I can make that up when I lay the next plank, but it shouldn't have happened. It going to throw off the interior measurements by that much. Not only that, but it had a much larger gap to fill under the overlapping plank than the other #3 plank. 

Here's the gap between the plank and the mold. It looks bigger than what it is, though it's certainly big enough.


Here's the filled gap between the plank #2 and #3. For perspective, the plank is 1/4" thick, so that's a pretty thick fillet. I had to use a lot more epoxy than the other #3.

Here's what I think is happening. My "fingers" (remember the fingers?) hold the plank away from the above plank which in turn holds it away from the mold. My extra "arms" are angled up which changes the way the plank lines up. I've got to straighten out those "arms". 

But here's the result.

Looks like a pretty fair curve. I hope so.

Time will tell how much of a difference this second #3 plank will make. I'm thinking, once the boat is completed, it will be all but forgotten. 




No comments:

Post a Comment