Wednesday, March 17, 2021

The Cart Before the Horse

Or maybe I should say the trailer before the boat. Of course, I've known that I would need a trailer for the boat I'm building, completion of which is probably a year away. With that said, I've still been browsing Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist. It looked like I would be able to get a decent trailer for somewhere around $300 which I set as my "budget".

Though there is no urgency, I decided I would continue to look and if the right one showed up, I would get it. I missed a free one not long ago because my tow vehicle was having alternator problems. I missed another for $100 because it was on a church day and it didn't last 24 hours.

Well, one showed up yesterday which had just been listed. My day was flexible so I jumped. Talked to Scott, the seller, and he was very helpful in describing the trailer in more detail than just a picture. I liked him and decided to go for it. Drove 120 miles (each way) to look at it.

From the moment I talked to Scott on the phone I liked him. When I arrived it was like we'd been friends forever. He was a pretty neat guy, recently retired from 32 years in law enforcement, he piddles around with buying and selling old boats and trailers. He owned 4 wooded acres and had maybe a dozen boats sitting around with a few more trailers. He told me he does it to stay sane. He'd recently lost a 27 year old son to a freak medical situation and found great solace in keeping busy with his hobby. Seems we had many shared values and beliefs. After nearly an hour "tour", we looked at the trailer - looked very solid. Needed a little work but good "bones". He helped me get her ready for the road and even threw in a jackstand, winch, and a couple extra rollers. He seemed to be having a lot of fun. What a great guy! He even invited Robin and me back up and said he'd smoke a chicken for us in his homemade smoker. 

So I've landed this 1979 Dilly galvanized trailer for $160. I had to take a trailer light kit with me, it will need tires and a fitting or two; but a good find I believe. I'll cover it and park it 'til ready. Gonna be some motivation to get hopping!

Here she is:



No comments:

Post a Comment