Thursday, March 25, 2021

Sourcing & Costs

I have spent a lot of time sourcing materials for the boat, time that will not show up in the "build log". I've got just about everything I need now except for the "little stuff". 

A lot of the time spent has been in an attempt to economize on this build. I'm trying to do it for $3000. The kit cost over $7000 and that's before the 2021 price increase which Clint hasn't posted yet. Prices were due to go up as much as 20% which would put the CIY at well over $8000. 

The big purchases have been made. Of course, it all started with the plans which were $250.

I ordered plywood today from Bedard Yachts in Clearwater, FL. Their prices were good, not the best, but I knew they would carry quality material. I decided to go with a mix of okoume and meranti. Meranti is cheaper but weighs a little more. That's not really a concern for me. I'll use okoume for the bright parts and the meranti for the painted parts with the exception of plank #1 which has a pretty big curve at the bow. Okoume should make that turn a little better. They also found a carrier with a terminal a few miles from my house. Shipping will only be $200. I couldn't drive to Florida and back for that money. Total cost is less than $900. 

I ordered my sails a couple weeks ago. Prices for already built sails ranged from $800 to one quote for just a main for $1400. Too rich for me. I ordered a built mizzen from Duckworks which happens to be cheaper than a kit. I ordered the mainsail from Sailrite for $300. Total cost will be a little over $400. 

Of course, the trailer was a potentially expensive item. As posted earlier, I found one for $160! It will take another $100 or so to get it up to speed but a good purchase. 

My epoxy was ordered from B&B Yachts in Vandemere, NC. Three gallons cost me $190. 

Wood for my oars cost about $50. 

The last major purchase will be lumber for my spars and transom. I'll be using box store lumber for those. I will be using "select pine" for the spars which is clear. Scantlings will be a bit bigger that plans call for. I'll use some kind of pine for the transom, maybe even #2 grade if I can find some without a lot of knots. I might cover it with a layer of glass. It will be painted. I think I can get all of it for maybe a little more than $100. 

That leaves me with "incidentals": paint, rigging, hardware, wood for cleats & rail, brushes, rollers, fiberglass (I may have enough on hand), consumables such as sandpaper, etc. My expenditures so far leaves me with around $1000 left in the budget for these items.

Time will tell whether I'll make my $3000 budget, but so far, it's looking pretty good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment