Sunday, March 27, 2022

Gunwales and Inwales

Last night I unclamped the gunwales and inwales which I had glued up the night before. Some good squeeze-out! I used my small prybar, which has a pretty sharp edge on the straight end, to chip away the  worst of the squeeze-out. Then I took the belt sander with the 80 grit belt on it to take off the rest. Like before, the scrafs aren't great but they'll do.

I decided, since I was at it, that I'd do some fine sanding as well. I took my palm sander with some 120 grit paper and sanded the flat edges of the four strips. I started to sand the  short edges but decided I will probably be sanding them smooth the  top edge of the sheer strake, so I ceased and desisted. 

Before coming in, I took the notion to see what the gunwale would do clamped on the sheer. How hard would it be to bend? Would it break? 

I clamped the middle hard and then worked my way out tightening alternating clamps little by little until the strip was clamped all the way around the strake. No breaks! Seemed to go on alright. 


I did not fool with shaping the end that will butt up against the stem. Hopefully Monday night we'll get her glued up!



No comments:

Post a Comment