Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Thanksgiving Week Sail

WHOA, NELLIE!

Well, what do ya know? I actually got to sail two times this month.

Monday was in the 60's with significant wind being brought by that front that is crossing the country right now. Time to get the CIY out and put her (really me) to the test. I'd say winds were a steady 8-10 with gusts maybe 15 and a few white caps every now and then. Stiffer than anything I'd been out in to date.

I decided to set up the main with a reef in. Not many people on the lake yesterday and I really didn't want to take a swim. Launching was easy enough. With an offshore wind I let the wind carry the boat out a bit while I held a line and then pulled it into the dock. I parked my vehicle, returned to the boat, dropped the daggerboard in, set the rudder, untied the dockline and I was off, drifting away from the dock.

Once away from the dock, I sheeted in the mizzen and raised the main. I've always heard the mizzen is good for keeping your boat head-to-wind. It did do that, but the boat still wanted to "swing" somewhat causing the boom to keep crossing the center-line, back and forth. Duck, duck, duck.

I got the main up, main sheet situated and I was sailing. The wind was reasonably steady with the occasional gust. Here's a pic of the flag at a marina which is directly across the lake from the ramp. I crossed the lake several times and the flag looked like this the whole time.


Tacking was not smooth. Got to work on that. I usually had to push the boom back to windward to complete the tack.

There were times the wind seemed to swirl and shift directions. I was trying to track the wind at one point, the sail was luffing and suddenly it filled and the boat started to go over! Whoa, Nellie! The rail dipped below the water. Water started pouring into the boat. I believe I audibly begged, "Please don't go over!!" I let go of everything, dropped into the bottom of the boat and threw my weight back. She came back up. Whew! that was close!

Here's a pic of water in the bottom of the boat. I actually had bailed some of it before taking the pic.


I decided I didn't want to chance going over again, so I doused the sails and even took down the mizzen mast. Unfortunately, I was going to have to row into that stiff wind which at times was off the port bow. When it went off the bow, the windage made it difficult to row straight. Soon I realized that even the mast was creating considerable windage, so I took it down. Fortunately, I only had a half mile to row. I guess it took a half an hour.

The wind was such that I missed my landing on the first attempt. I usually turn and row facing forward when I approach the ramp. While I was turning around, the wind blew me down the shoreline. I had to turn around and row normally almost to the ramp to make my landing.

All ended well.

Here are two pics of my first attempt at reefing. A little sloppy. For one thing, I forgot to lace the clew to the boom. The sail shape seem good though while underway.



A fisherman was taking out the same time I was. He commented on my boat name and we struck up a good conversation. Turns out he attends a church not far from mine and he's getting ready to play Gabriel in their Christmas play.

After packing up the boat, I did a quick change of clothes in the park restroom and made a quick visit to a funeral home just a few minutes from the ramp to visit one of our members whose daughter-in-law passed. Knocked out some business and pleasure in the same trip.

Turning cooler now. We'll see how long it takes to get my next outing.

PS: I did check the recorded wind at the airport for yesterday. Here's the graph. Looks like my estimate was spot on.





No comments:

Post a Comment