Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Side Benches

 I worked on the side benches last night. I have already marked the line and glued up the cleats. 

BTW: those cleats on the starboard side were too high! I cut them off with my new reciprocating saw (a gift from a church member) and reinstalled them. Funny thing - as I glued up the replacements after remarking the line I checked them. They were too high!!! What am I doing wrong???? I remarked the line (the other one was 3/8" too high - just like the first one) and then glued them up correctly - double checking and triple checking their position. Got it right the third time. The port side was ok. 

On to the seats: I cut a piece of scrap and used tickler sticks to get the shape. 


My thought was to get the length correct with the scrap, get the hull-side curve with the  tickler sticks and get the inside curve with Clint's dimensions.

I used a light batten to get a fair curve and a heavier one to use as a guide for my 3.5" Porter Cable saw.


Then I used the inside curve to mark matching curves for a 1/4" spacer and 3/8" doubler which will also act as a ledge for the floor to rest upon when camping. 


The fit is pretty good. Part of the benches are permanently installed. The forward section is removable though. I'll cut when I get the three pieces glued together.



I have the second one halfway cut out. Hopefully get that finished tonight along with the two extra pieces. I'd also like to get the 1/4" spacers glued up. I'll wait until I can sand that smooth to the seat before gluing on the 3/8" piece. 

Addendum:

I did get to the other side tonight and all doublers and spacers are cut.










No comments:

Post a Comment